Are You Dealing With Heel Pain?
How your podiatrist in Corning, Bath, and Athens can help
If you are suffering from heel pain, help is on the way! If you’ve been sidelined on the couch due to heel pain, you can get relief! If you are dealing with heel pain, Dr. Amber Allen at Steuben Podiatry & Valley Podiatry wants to help. She has three convenient office locations in Corning and Bath, NY, and Athens, PA, to help you and your feet.
Heel pain is often caused by a condition known as plantar fasciitis. The thick band of tissue which runs across your heel is known as the plantar fascia. This thick band of tissue can become inflamed, resulting in plantar fasciitis and heel pain. You may experience some or all of these symptoms if you have plantar fasciitis:
- Acute, sharp pain on the bottom of your heel
- Aching pain on the side of your foot or arch
- Pain that increases when you stand up
- Pain that increases over a long period of time
You are at greater risk of plantar fasciitis if you:
- Carry excess weight
- Overpronate or roll your foot when you walk
- Walk or stand on hard surfaces for long periods of time
- Participate in high impact sports like running or jogging
The best way to prevent plantar fasciitis is to always wear supportive, comfortable shoes that support your arches. Avoid going barefoot, and if you participate in high impact sports, always make sure you wear the appropriate foot wear for what you are doing. You might consider switching to lower impact activities, like swimming, and try to maintain a healthy weight.
To get relief from plantar fasciitis, you can:
- Take over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medication
- Do arch stretches several times during the day
- Get some rest and take the weight off of your feet
For stubborn plantar fasciitis and heel pain, it’s best to visit an expert. At Steuben Podiatry & Valley Podiatry your podiatrist may recommend:
- Custom-made orthotics and other devices to support your feet
- Physical therapy and stretching to maintain flexibility
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medication
- Corticosteroid injections around your heel to reduce inflammation
- Surgical intervention for severe, nonresponsive cases
You don’t have to deal with heel pain when help is just a phone call away. If you are suffering heel pain, it’s time to call Dr. Allen at Steuben Podiatry & Valley Podiatry, with offices in Corning and Bath, NY, and Athens, PA. Call now and get relief from your heel pain!